top of page

Why do I need to do a DBS if I already have one?

We class a valid DBS as one that is registered to a current Update Service account, or one which has been processed by 3D Recruit. The Local Authorities and Clients we supply to do not accept DBS checks undertaken by other employers which are not subscribed to an Update Service account. You must be able to produce the DBS certificate which is subscribed to your account.

If you do not have an Update Service account, but are in possession of an Enhanced DBS certificate which was issued within the last 30 days, then we may be able to subscribe this to the update service.


If I am registered on the Update Service, why do you need to see a copy of my DBS certificate?

The online status check we conduct to ensure you have a valid update service DBS, only confirms a valid subscription and that either no information was recorded on the certificate, that the certificate does contain a disclosure, or that there has been a change in status since the original DBS was issued. In order for an Update Service DBS to be acceptable, we must have sight of the certificate subscribed to the account, as this is what evidences the level of check, which barred lists which have been checked, and that it has been done under the appropriate workforce(s) we are entitled to know about for the position/work you will be undertaking. It also enables us to see any disclosures or convictions which have been released. We then pair a copy of the certificate with the online status check, which is what makes the DBS valid and portable.


Why do you ask for so much information and documentation as part of your registration process?

Not all recruitment companies are the same.

We pride ourselves on our high safeguarding standards and commitment to the protection of vulnerable adults and children. We are members of the Association of Professional Staffing Companies (APSCo), which is the only trade body with a set of quality standards specific to the temporary recruitment of Qualified Social Workers. These standards are known as Compliance Plus and are set by the industry to achieve best practice. We are independently audited annually and are one of the few companies to have held the Compliance+ standard every year, since being a founding member of the APSCo Social Work sector. We were also the first recruitment company to achieve dual Compliance+ accreditation across both Social Work and Education sectors. Our accreditation and commitment to safeguarding, and reputation for supplying only the best quality candidates, is what separates us from our competition and keeps Clients coming back to us. The more you engage and help us to complete your safeguarding, the quicker you can start your dream role.


If I am a British Citizen, why do I have to evidence a Right to Work?

We are legally required to hold a Right to Work for all candidates wishing to register and work through 3D Recruit. This can take the form of;

UK/EU/EEA Passport

UK birth certificate (together with proof of NI & photo ID such as a driving licence)

Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

Visa within a current non-EU/EEA passport (such as a Right of Abode Certificate, Residence documentation or Entry Clearance)

Immigration Status Document

Certificate of Registration/Naturalisation as a British Citizen

Application Registration Card (ARC)

Permanent Residence Certificates


Why must I evidence gaps in my employment?

Everyone takes time out of work, whether it be to care for family members, to go on holiday, or to look for their next role. If you have not worked for more than one month during your last 5 years of employment history, then our clients expect candidates to supply a self-declaration evidencing their activity during those gaps. A character reference is also required from an independent person who can testify to your professional character, in support of your self-declaration. This forms part of our contractual requirements with these clients, and is a normal part of our safeguarding processes - so please don’t be offended if we ask you for this information


Why must I provide an overseas Police check to evidence time spent abroad?

If you have lived or worked abroad for 6 months or more during the last 5 years, we will ask you to supply a Police check for that country. This acts in the same way as a UK DBS does, and forms part of our standard vetting process/contractual requirements with Clients. Further guidance on the application process for criminal record checks overseas can be found via

bottom of page